Lisa and her kids were over this last Saturday and we went to the zoo. Her twins are one month younger than Ella and were adopted at 22 months old – Ella was adopted at 37 months old. It is amazing what a difference that extra year made. Lisa’s twins never made such strong emotional attachments at the orphanage, nor do they remember any of it, even though they go back occasionally to visit. Consequently they don’t have the grief that Ella does. Six months later, Ella still mourns and grieves for the people that she’s left behind, especially it seems for little Jorum. I think that now the “newness” of having a mom and family has worn off, Ella is starting to think about those in her past and missing and grieving her old pals. Which is good I guess but had she been younger I doubt it would have affected her as much.
Ella has talked about Jorum a LOT and has prayed for him every night, totally unprompted, since we visited Sanyu’s almost two weeks ago. Saturday she brought up our visit and kept repeating over and over the fact that Jorum came running up and hugged her. Isn’t that just terribly sad that she misses him so much?? And once he leaves the babies home we will never see him again. He’s history yet he was like a brother to her. Imagine taking away your three year olds sibling and never hearing of him or her again! That’s what’s happened to my little L and there’s nothing I can do about it. And Jorum isn’t the only “sibling” she’s lost – just the one she remembers the most and was closest to I guess.
Jorum and Ella when he came down in June
Ella and Jorum, the day I brought Ella home from the babies home. Jorum started screaming and crying, either because I was taking Ella or because, once again, he was being left behind. I was crying too. It was terrible.
Teachers Mercy, Harriet and Lydia, with Ella and Jorum when they came down for a visit in June. At this point, 3 months after she'd come home, Ella didn't seem to be grieving for these people at all, although she was fairly happy to see them.
An odd thing about Ella is that although she’s very young for her age, she’s really perceptive. Lisa pointed that out. I know that Ella acts quite young for her age (thanks to the institutionalization) but is very bright. Everyone thinks there child is smart but anyone that knows Ella will tell you that she’s “different” –incredibly bright, despite the fact that she acts so young for her age. Weird combo. Perceptive is the perfect definition for her. It could also be why things effect her so much more than other kids who’ve experienced similar circumstances. Why God gave me a child like this is beyond me. I would have done far better with a more “simple” one, like I was.
Thoughts of another adoption flit through my mind. Would I adopt another three year old? Would I adopt a baby? Could I handle sharing the intense emotional issues that go along with an older child? Could I handle the physical, tedious needs that go along with a baby (I am not a baby person)? I simply don’t know. I hope that God doesn’t ask me to adopt again, not because it’s been a terrible experience or I regret it (on the contrary, it’s been one of the best things that’s ever happened to me and a HUGE, ENORMOUS blessing) but because I am fully content with the ONE child I have now and sharing the hurts and losses of her past with her is emotionally very, very draining. The loss that an adopted child goes through in an adoption can be overwhelming. One positive aspect is that once you and your kid suffer through stuff like this and cry and hurt together, you really do feel close. It is rather gratifying to be able to be there for your kid when she needs you. I also think there is a special, extra aspect to the relationship between a single parent and their child that couples and their children don’t get to experience.
2 comments:
Does Jorum have a family yet?
(not hinting at anything...I swear!)
I think your friend Lisa's children came home together, which can make it a little easier for them to adjust (depending on how well you get along with your sibling I suppose). I am quite certain that Jorum was like a brother to Ella, how could he not be?
In some ways two children are easier to manage than one. Sometimes they are deep in play with each other and hardly notice you, but other times you are playing the referee but I did find 2 was easier than one. Look at me though, I am about to embark on six (you have to question my sanity) and also I am not a single parent anymore.
Jorum's situation is weird one. Some gal from Germany has wanted to adopt him since before I even thought about adopting Ella. This woman has a lot of family drama and legal issues (she doesn't live in Uganda)and hasn't been able to get him and it's been almost 2 years. An American family, who I know and adopted a little boy this year, also would like to adopt him (since it looks iffy that the other gal can) but the babies home refuses to let them take him. So he's sort of "stuck" there, even though two families would like to adopt him. That lets me off the hook :). I hope...
Interesting observation about the twins. You're right - they still had each other. For some dumb reason I hadn't thought about that factor. Your kids also won't have lost everything because they'll still have each other. That will make it a bit easier for them, maybe.
Most people tell me that two kids are easier than one. But I just could never imagine that, especially in regards to dealing with all their emotional issues. It plum wears me out with just one! But then on the other hand maybe L wouldn't have as many emotional issues if she still had a sib from the babies home. Ack!! Hard to tell!
I do not question your sanity. I think you're very brave and wish more folks could do what you're doing. You're sure gonna have your hands full though!
Thanks for your comments. They've gotten me thinking... (uh oh!) - NOT of adopting again - just thinking :)
Post a Comment