Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The “normal” family?

Ella was flipping through a WORLD magazine this weekend. The kid loves magazines, although she did enlighten me with the statement, “I can’t read” a while back. I had no idea ;). Ella also enjoys flipping through local Ugandan newspapers. She’s a real magazine and newspaper flipper (Must take after her great-grandpa Bill. Hee hee!).

In WORLD magazines there are lots of pictures. Some of these pictures are of families - mainly in adds that are advertising Christian schools and Medishare. These are always white families. In the local papers, the families are always Ugandans. Usually Ella comments on the “pretty dresses” or shoes or hair. If there’s an animal thrown in all the better. But I’ve never seen her differentiate between races before. Until this weekend.


There was an article in WORLD’s November 1/8 issue about churches starting adoption funds to help financially support adopting families. In it was a picture of an adoptive family which consisted of white parents, three little black kids and a little white kid. Ella went nuts!! “WHO are they? WHAT are their names? Can we go to their house and play?” over and over again! She has NEVER done this before, EVER! She just knew I was holding out on her!


It made me feel good however. In her mind this is what a “normal” family should look like. White parents and black kids. Like us J. We’re not strange. We’re not abnormal. We are a normal family. We are acceptable.


I’m very thankful for all the adoptive families that we are friends with. We would not have this opportunity if I was raising her in Montana. We would definitely be odd balls, despite the fact that she would have her own pony. And be the best little rider in both Montana and Wyoming


We are the only family that I know of who keeps a hedgehog in their kitchen. Maybe we’re not so “normal” after all… Sigh.


I’m still waiting for the day she clues into the fact that half the families we know have a dad thrown in too. What exactly are they there for? I’m going to try to not throw in my own biased answers on that one… ;)


Here's to let you all in on a little secret. NONE of these guys on the couch can read!

2 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

I describe us as an 'eclectic' family. I LOVE it! It is fun, a bit wild and definitely a way to stike up conversations--or rather be conversed about ;). Love you gals. See you at 4pm.

jena said...

Hey... I like that 'eclectic' description! Grace, it's always fun to check your blog from time to time. Love the hog habitat.