Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Outdoor Hog Habitat

Over the weekend, despite my cold that was making me miserable and threatening to kill me (exaggeration, but it was making me miserable), I mustered my waning strength and was able to make a very fine outdoor corral for Spike.


I would like to say that this was modeled after a “natural hog habitat” but that would be no where near the truth. If it were indeed modeled after Spikes natural habitat, which I mercilessly plucked him from in Southern Sudan, I would tear out all the flowers and put in a thin layer of dust and sand. Then I would somehow crank the heat up about 30*. Maybe I’d throw in some old plastic water bottles and other various bits of trash too. Only my neighbors wouldn’t like it and it wouldn’t be so delightful in front of my house. So we’ve gone with an “Entebbe-ized” version of a hog habitat.


So now Spike can trundle along amongst marigolds and some other flowers, nibbling on bugs and enjoying the fresh air, dirt between his toes and fresh air blowing through his quills.


I’m really hoping that none of these plants are toxic to animals. My Mom clued me in about tea being made out of marigolds, so they must not be toxic at least. If poor Spike keels over we’ll know that something was!


Now all Spike needs is for his friend Tanya, from Southern Sudan, to come with her new plastic tea pot, and make him a cup of marigold tea :)

No comments: