One of the great things about living in Uganda is the laid back pace and affordable and friendly veterinary services available. We scheduled to get our five month old puppy, Madea, spayed today and I asked if we could watch. No problem said Dr David! Ella had been looking forward to this for a very long time. She loves movies with operations in them and generally just enjoys anything that has to do with blood. So I figured that this would be a great opportunity for her to an operation "live". And it was!

Preparing the pup for surgery - I love Ella's attentive face!

First step, shave the belly, apply antiseptic and make the first incision through the first layer of skin


Poke poke! In goes the finger to look for the right ovary

The right ovary is found, pulled out and clamped

Could someone please hold her leg? Two little hands were quick to be volunteered!

The serious little vet assistants :)

This is tying an artery up so that our puppy doesn't bleed to death

I loved Frankies face in this one - wonder what he's thinking?!

Finishing tying up something

Dr. David at work - he is a great guy and was so patient with the kids describing exactly what he was doing.

Pulling out the left ovary and the uterus - can you say ouch?!

Madea's left ovary and the uterus (left) and the right ovary (right)

The vet and his rapt audience :) They gave them a chair to stand on so that they could see well.

Nothing like playing with your puppies ovary! The kids were fascinated that it had actually come out of their puppy! My favorite was at the end when the vet said "Let's throw away the uterus - you're done playing with it now." How many kids are told that?!

The knocked out patient

Getting ready to be stitched up

I was surprised that Frankie wanted to play with it too - usually he doesn't like to touch anything slimy or get his hands dirty. But he certainly didn't seem to mind this at all!

Another great quote from the vet - "You want to see an intestine?" The kids - "Yes!" Then he asked them if they ate offals, which is cow intestine. Thank God they don't!

Getting stitched back up. I didn't realize that there are THREE layers that needed stitched. This is a picture of the first most inside layer getting sewn up.

Stitching the middle layer

Stitching the outside layer.
Dr. David is a chimpanzee vet with the Uganda Wildlife Authority and he says that this is how you have to stitch up chimps too so that they don't pick out their stitches.

Done!

Collin, the assistant, washing up Madea's tummy when she was done
Ella's attention never waned- she was intrigued to the bitter end :) I was happy that the kids had this opportunity to see an operation done and I thought it was pretty interesting as well! I had seen our dog spayed when I was about 11 years old and it was even more interesting to watch now that I'm an adult.
Good times in Uganda people, good times... :) And the price for all of this? $35. And the kids were even given cake!
4 comments:
Wow! Can you call that homeschool science? You definitely can't buy that type of science field trip here in the States for $35.
I love the photo of Frankie with his head down. I was thinking, "Frankie, you and me both." But he lost me when he held the parts.
Growing Up in Uganda Checklist...
1. Golf lessons
2. Ride a camel
3. Hold your dog's ovary
4. ???? Can wait to see what's next!
Actually, I think that's a Growing Up With A Crazy Mom checklist, Amy!
The REALLY brilliant thing about this is that it will take away the childrens' fears of undergoing surgery should either one have to do so some day - and eventually, most of us do...
That. Is. Awesome. :)
Post a Comment