Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Conversation with L

Ever had one of those conversations with your kids and afterwards you thought, “Wow, we really ARE weird!” Well, Ella and I had one of those the other day.

We were outside playing with our puppies and kitten and the discussion turned to spaying and neutering. Ella and Frank both know all of the “body parts” involved in a neuter (Ella helped me neuter our last puppy, Kayo) and thanks to our pets, both kids know the differences between boys and girls. It’s not even an issue with us. Ella knows all about neutering but wanted some details about what would happen when Madea was spayed, and why. Ella LOVES all of the gory details and was about to jump out of her pants when I described the procedure a bit and then mentioned that maybe we could see it done. Yep, that’s L. The bloodier and gorier the better. Weird kid!

So then I explained why Madea would be spayed – if Madea is spayed then she can’t have babies. We don’t want puppies that we can’t find good homes for. Ella thought about that and said, “Yeah, then someone might leave THEM under a tree.” My point exactly, L. Nice to see her using her head! But then, well, she kept on doing some MORE thinking. “Are people spayed and neutered?” Um, no.... “Did you spay ME?” No (scary- does she not realize that she's a "people" too?!). Then finally, “Are YOU spayed? Because you don’t have a baby in YOUR tummy!” HAAAA!! Awesome logical thinking, L! But, well, there’s a bit more to it than that!

So she knows how babies grow in peoples tummies, how they get pushed or cut out, and how to prevent babies from growing in ones tummy (ya just yank out the uterus!) but she has no idea how a baby actually gets started in that tummy! And, well, I just wasn’t up to describing it to my five year old yet. Yes, I know. Coward. She’s so into what goes on inside the body (guts, blood, bones, brains, etc) that I think I’ll teach her all about that, and then gradually work into the birds n the bees. And with L, I know that it won’t faze her a BIT! But really, how much does a five year old really need to know about all of that now?

And no, I’m not going to tell her that you “need to be married” before you can have a baby in your tummy cuz that’s just not true. You should but you sure as heck can get a baby in there without it!

1 comment:

Luv4thePaws said...

Oh my goodness! This post made me queasy and laugh all at the same time! So... you neutered your last puppy?! Did you use the rubber band method, or.... I don't know what other methods there are since I've never done it! And, I love that you're going to be honest with her and tell her the truth about the birds and the bees! You're right- There doesn't have to be a ring to have a baby, and abstinence is great in theory but sure as heck not realistic as much as we'd like to think so! ;)

What happened to the adult dog in your profile picture? You only have Bridger and Sanyu left plus the puppies? I'm very behind on these things since I've been out of the blog world, and I am always concerned for furry friends! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Enjoy the day with your little Ugandans... I found a danish with a pumpkin mixture filling... Or so the package claims. It's going to be our pumpkin pie!

P.S. I am racked with guilt thinking if we had committed to Milana just a little bit sooner and hurried up with our paperwork that we could have gotten her before she was transferred. We love Sosie, but we loved Milana for 6 months as we scrambled to complete the process. So, you ended up with two beautiful children, and even though you did not get them sooner, it ended up being the perfect timing for you- 30 or not! :)