Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dejavu

So lets see - it's happened again -for the fifth time! A wee little puppy was abandoned not far from our compound and toddled his way to our gate. Yes, I'm a sucker, and as far as I know that very well could be stamped onto my forehead. But I can not STAND the idea of a puppy out by himself starving to death and well, animal lover or not, I was raised that you do what you can to help others, even if it is just an animal. Oh, and the fact that I'm a HUGE SUCKER for dogs plays a part too. To be fair, it runs in the family, so it's a genetic thing. Not my fault. I am a victim of a disease ;)


Yes, I needed another dog like an alcoholic needs just one more drink, but the thing about this puppy is that he has a RIDGE on his back. Yes, a ridge! I have wanted a dog with a ridge on it's back since FOREVER and have lived in Africa, home to the Rhodesian Ridgeback, for over six years now and all four of my dogs have smooth backs (they're more like a Basenji - of which I never had a desire to own!). I've enviously eyed the scruffy mutts with ridges on their backs wandering around, but have never had a pooch like that of my own. So you can see why the temptation to keep this little dude is pretty strong!



Checkin' him out. Isn't he cute? Looks like a little baby Bridger! Except with that all important RIDGE on his back!


Thorough inspection by everyone

"I don't care how cute you are - I'm NOT nursing you!"


And THIS kid was beside herself with joy. I mean, she's usually pretty enthusiastic about everything but it's like she's never had a dog before or something. I got SO many joyous hugs as she was just THRILLED to have found a puppy!





Even in our excitement we didn't forget our dog psychology. Part of our program was seeing that little Will/Bill ate with the rest of the pack.


Sorry boy, no one to nurse you here. Ella wondered if any of our girl dogs had milk for him :)


Like all the other six puppies that we've found, this little guy was covered in fleas. Not as bad as the other pups we've found (I have NEVER seen anything like Ranger and Madea's infestation when we found them) but bad just the same. Our puppy finding ritual is to immediately bathe them in flea dip and powder them, which we did with this little pup too.

Hims was exhausted after his bath :)


We all just really like to hang around and watch him :) Note that Frank is our "watcher" and Ella is our "grabber." They compliment each other well. What if Frank was another "grabber?!"


So, we'll see what happens and if we keep him or not. I always hope to find a good home for them but once they're named I can't seem to let them go. Hence Madea. And this pup's already named. For VERY personal reasons I wanted to name him Bill or Will. So right there is one strike against me. Not to mention the ridge on his back. And, this is terrible and REALLY immature, but I keep thinking, "What if I give him away to our friends and he turns out bigger and prettier than my other dogs?" Yeah, I know, lame, but that's how it is...


One interesting thing about Will/Bill is that he has dewclaws on his back feet! None of my other little dogs have dewclaws. I think he might be a big cross and I LOVE big dogs! Ranger is taller than Bridger now but still isn't going to be a big dog. Maybe this little guy will be?

2 comments:

Luv4thePaws said...

Oh Grace!!!! How precious! I vote you keep him!! My dad's name was William (Bill), and so I am partial to sweet little Will/Bill. :) See, I'm a bad influence! The photos of the big dogs sniffing him is so cute. I love the other photos and posts too- glad the Easter bunny made it!

I hope you got my reply to your e-mail. I am not sure how solid your Internet is there, and I don't want you to think I forgot about you! I replied the same day.

Awww, a new member of the pack! :) How exciting! And, the kids are pretty darn cute too!!

Luv4thePaws said...

P.S. I just checked another of my "favorites" blogs, and I caught up on their posts. Lo and behold, I saw a ridgeback! They live in Africa too (they used the agency we signed up with to adopt from Ethiopia). So, I guess they got one much quicker than you since they just moved there last year! :)

http://joshuaandlydia.blogspot.com/2011/04/our-house.html