Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Reluctant Homeschooler

So, it’s happened. My mom is ordering Ella’s 1st Grade curriculum tomorrow and we will indeed be “real” homeschoolers. I never really wanted to homeschool, being a working parent, it’s a lot of work and all, but that’s really been our only option and is what is the best at the moment for Ella anyways.

Not that I have anything against homeschooling. In fact, I was homeschooled from Kindergarten – 12 grade, in the mid 80’s through the 90’s, back when not only was homeschooling just plain weird but a hairs breath away from being illegal. When the esteemed Attorney General, Janet Reno, included homeschooling as an example of cultic activity which could be a threat against the government, it really gave us homeschoolers a shot of self esteem in the arm.

So far we’ve been doing kindgarten with a hodgepodge of different workbooks that my Mom got from Cosco, the Dollar store, etc. Ella still can’t read well and I don’t read to/with the kids nearly enough. Bad me. So she’s not reading well but can do phonics (??) and is working through a Grade 1 workbook. Kind of a little preview to 1st Grade I guess. We’ve only been focusing on reading and math and we needed something a little bit more well rounded for the 1st Grade. So mom is ordering Lifepac for Language/Arts, Science, History/Geography and Bible and we are doing Math U See for math for 1st Grade. And the weird thing is, I’m looking forward to getting and starting them! We hope to get them in June and will probably start them in July after we’ve moved.

So, there. It looks like whether I like it or not I am truly committed to homeschooling now!

1 comment:

James 1:27 Family said...

Yay! So fun to start new books. Then the books are just books. Then the books are dreaded. And then YAY! again, it's time for new books. :)

We are going to try out a program called Monarch for Kellen this year. It doesn't begin until 3rd grade but I'll let you know how it goes. It's all online and it's through Alpha-Omega, the same company that makes Lifepac, I think. Then Granny wouldn't have to send any books. :)

BTW.... Grace, your mom is so awesome.

Miss all of you and I've been really wishing we could pop over for a visit.

Love,
Amy