Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Harriet’s generosity

After we went and saw Harriet’s land, we went to her house for a meal and visiting. I had been there over a year ago, in October 2007. She rents one room that’s about 10 x 8 feet. Think really, really small. Last year when I was there it wasn’t so bad. The kids bunk beds were on the end wall, her bed along one wall and a couch on the other. There is a little closet for dishes and stuff and where she does a lot of her cooking on a charcoal little “stove”. The toilet and shower area is communal and shared with probably 10 other families. Sadly, the longer I live here the less I see the poverty that some of my friends live in. All I see is them, and well, they are so normal!


This is the amazing thing about Harriet. Living in conditions like this what does she up and do? Invites one of the young mothers from Wakisa Crisis Pregnancy Center, who has no where else to go, to live with her! Harriet has worked at a babies home for long enough to know that that is where many babies of young mothers end up. In order to prevent this from happening she invited the young girl and her newborn baby to come and live with her and the kids. In their one room!

So now there are two adults, two kids, a baby, and all their stuff, in a 10 x 8 room! And here sits Grace in her two bedroom little house with only her one small child. Yes, I’m totally put to shame (and it won’t be the first time Harriet’s done it to me!).



Two month old baby Matthew (born October 4th)


Matthew and Prossy – ol’ Pross is a notorious baby lover!



Jackie and Matthew. Get a load of that smile! While only two months old, little Matthew is the smiliest little guy I know!


He’s a very happy baby who gets lots of love and attention from Jackie and Jacob. Sometimes I wonder if he gets a little too much from Jackie!


Ella enjoyed playing with the kids outside on their little porch

The porch doubled as a dining room, too! A lot of their living is done out on this small porch simply because there is no room for them all inside!


I think this is the reason why God has chosen to bless Harriet in the amazing way that He has. She is constantly giving, giving, giving what little she does have, to others. Thank you to all of you who bought and sold her beads! You not only helped improve the quality of her and her children’s lives, but also the lives of little people like Matthew and his mother, as well. Without a place to go after her babies birth, his mother could very well have been forced to abandon him. Instead, they both have a family to live with and he is very loved and cared for.


Always one to befriend a K9… Ella making friends with the puppy that lives on Prossy’s compound. It was a little nervous at first but quickly warmed up to my little dog lover.



No comments: