Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Changes, changes, changes

So last week, our first week back home from getting back from Kenya, we moved! Granted we only moved next door but it was a move just the same and more work than I'd exactly planned on. Amazing how much JUNK I have acquired in only 1 1/2 years of living in my old place!

My Mom was the instigator of this plan and boy was I glad she was here to help. This new flat is MUCH nicer than the one I was in and since the rent is the same it would have been stupid to pay the same price for a crappier place. The neighbors that were in this new one moved back to the States enabling us to move in. I'd never actually been in it before but a unanimous agreement was made by Mom, Ella (who doesn't really count in my opinion - she'd agree with anything!), Sarah and all of the remaining neighbors that I should move. The floor in this new place is MUCH better, the kitchen is arranged so that we can actually have a table in there and eat in it, and the place is a foot larger. I love it! My furniture looks awesome and I was able to buy some beautiful WOODEN bookshelves so the only wicker stuff left is the shelf that my tv is on. Mom and I took the hacksaw to it, trimming off some "extra" bamboo and it looks great. Doesn't even bug me. Interior decorating with a hacksaw! We also had to take a hacksaw to the mosquito poles on some hardwood beds that were in one of the rooms since we couldn't get them out without doing so.

Another change is that I am taking Mom to the airport tonight and saying goodbye. That's gonna be tough. I'm not ready to see her go! She really came at an important time and has helped me SO MUCH. Oh how I will miss my mom! Last year was pretty rough and she has helped me enormously in recovering from it, dealing more kindly with Ella, helping me move and just being there for me. We have played many great games of Yahtzee and cribbage and it has just been nice to have another adult around to discuss things with and help out. Ella and the dogs are great but when it comes to deep discussions or playing games, um, well...

Ella is really going to miss her Granny. She has been her Gran's little shadow ever since we got back from conference. It's so funny because she reminds me of myself when I was a little kid! I had the reputation of being a little "growth" I was so attached to my Mom. And now to see little L so attached to her Granny is cute :) Mom said she was busy packing yesterday and heard a little voice behind her say, "You coming back?" We have discussed Granny's leaving with Ella and it seems to be sinking in. She was pinching her Granny yesterday which is an indication that it bothers her and makes her a bit anxious and angry that her Gran is leaving. She knows where Granny is going though and that we will be going to visit Montana to ride horses and see Granny and Grandpa next year when she's four. I was actually glad to hear that she was pinching her Gran because it means that she cares that her faithful Gran is leaving.

So Sarah will start watching The Ellster tomorrow. That might be interesting. I'm just hoping that Sarah isn't too soft with her as Ella is more than happy to test limits and try to get away with things (aren't we all!). I am going to make a list of activities to give to Sarah that she can have Ella do since L really needs you to organize her play for her. The kid needs tons of structure, even when it comes to just playing with her toys.

So yep, a new house, Mom leaving and Sarah starting work are the three major new changes that are happening in our lives. Pray for all of our adjustments!! I have never employed anyone before and I want to be a good employer but also get the help I need. All three of these changes have been pretty big for Ella, especially considering she's only been home 4.5 months. The move was more of a stress for her than we thought it'd be. She seems to be settling down with it though, as are the dogs. They were acting a little weird too. We only moved next door, and we did need to, but I would advise anyone adopting children NOT TO MOVE within the first year if at all possible. I simply can not imagine if this had been a "big move" across town, let alone to a different town or State.

No comments: