I had fully intended on posting some pictures of "The Child" from the last month but alas, blogspot is having some techinical difficulties and can't upload pictures. Uh oh... sounds familiar! So I guess I'm going to skip photo's (which is why I have a blog in the first place!) and give you all a facinating update on my return to work.
I started back last Thursday but this was my first full week of being back to work. I LOVE working only 6 hours a day and going home at around 2pm instead of 5pm (I don't take a lunch break). I really do think that I get more accomplished this way - a full 8 hour work day just gives me more time to dink around (which I'm kind of doing right now, but...) and I think I'll get my jobs done quicker knowing that I don't have until 5pm to work.
So consultant checks started last Friday with our consultant, Waller, and the Lugungu translation team. They were joined Tuesday by the Lubwisi team. With Waller here and the last checks of the fiscal year being carried out (a check is going on in Mugulu too, with the Lunyole and Lugwere teams) that means that I can revise plans for next years translation and consulting schedule since we now know what will have been finished from this year. Try coordinating the work of eight different translators and two consultants and see how easy it is!!
In the midst of this the Aringa team came down for help with thier FY09 budget and some other financial things. Since my supervisor, the Language Programs Manager, left, Yours Truly is left being the "knowledgable" one about all of this stuff. Scary!! Luckily my colleauge, Gift, has helped with it too so I don't have all of the responsibility but let me tell you, I don't like being the "expert" on something that I have so little experience and knowledge about! Add that to the fact that I'm a complete MORON when it comes to numbers and you can see my lack of confidence. Between the two of us we've fumbled along and the Aringa team is going back today with a budget draft and knowledge about how to do some other finance things. Whew. What a first week back!
The Ellster is doing all right with this new change of schedule. She's had more difficulty than I thought she would but her faithful Gran says that it's getting easier for her. She is NAUGHTY after I leave and gives her Granny a hard time, just pushing limits and seeing what she can get away with. She's a little angry as well. Well, you have to know my Mom but there is no way that her limits will be pushed, nor will she be controlled by a mere 3 year old! This is actually a comfort to little L because it just about makes her crazy when she's allowed to control an adult, although that is what she always wants to do. She can be a little pissy with me when I get home - I think it makes her a bit angry when I leave her. All in all it is working out well though and I am glad to be back to work. Come to find out it has been really nice that I had 3 months to stay at home with her and look, I did survive!
I could babble on and on about Ella's progress. It is just a bizarre thing to take a 3 year old and try to help them change and modify behaviors that have enabled them to survive for the last 3 years in an institution. What is really frusterating is most people just see a cute, happy, charming, large three year old and think I'm crazy that I have concerns about her and try to control some of her "cute" behaviors. That is why I am SO GLAD that my mother is here. She can see that these "cute" behaviors are a result of institutionalization and that I'm not just a bitchy mother. Although at times I do just feel like an overcontroling, bitchy mother and want to just let Ella loose to act however she chooses. So what if gets herself wound up and freaks out in the end? Ack!! Then I'm disgusted with myself because I spend so much time caring what other people think about me.
Have a happy 4th of July everyone!! We are celebrating it tomorrow since I had to work today. Yes, I know that's lame, celebrating the 4th of July on the 5th, but hey, it's better than nothing!
2 comments:
Oh, Grace. I am so proud of you. Keep on being what you need to be as a mother. :)
Hi Grace, found you on the net somehow but would love to chat. I am from canada been here in Jinja for two and half weeks. I came to direct and orphanage in Iganga and teach play therapy here. I have read a few of your blogs so far but would love to chat. Could you email me at playtherapyuganda@gmail.com
Thanks
Lisa
Post a Comment