Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, September 14, 2009

Home from Big Sky Country and back to the Pearl of Africa

We hit the ground running two weeks ago when we returned home and I’m finally back to blogging. Hit the ground so hard that there just hasn’t been any time! There wasn’t the time or the internet connection to do much blogging in Montana, although there was a lot to blog about.


We made it home two weeks ago, September 1st. We didn’t suffer too bad from jet lag and I was able to jump back into work on the 3rd. The first week home I went with the neighbor to Kampala and got a dresser for Ella’s room, not only for her over abundance of clothes but for her future little brother or sisters as well. She enjoys having all her own clothes in her room and has been sleeping in there by herself ever since we got home. How nice to have brought home a big girl!


Our first Saturday home I spent the morning putting up L’s new trampoline. It’s a cute little thing and just perfect for our little compound and L’s little play area! This Saturday I spent the morning and well into the afternoon working on L’s little red wagon. My sister had brought it last year but didn’t bring all the parts. She sent the extra parts but I hadn’t the energy to figure out where they went on the wagon so it’s sat in my room for almost a year now. No more! I just need to get a couple more nuts and bolts at the hardware store and it’ll be finished. Yes, this child has an over abundance of cool toys and playthings but she enjoys every one of them and likes to share so what the heck?


(yes, this is Ella with Kayo!! He sort of grew...)


We also put up the new horse tire swing which works great for big kids and babies! Just more prep for L’s new little sis or bro...

We’ve also gone to the zoo, took the dogs to the Botanical Gardens with our friends, went swimming, been to a babies home in Kampala, and got the car fixed this last two weeks.


The car was real answer to prayer and looks awesome! The unbelievable thing is that it only cost about twenty five dollars (50,000 UGS) to fix!! Yeah for our mechanic in Entebbe! The boda is in now getting serviced. Can you believe that it started after four months of being idle? I hardly could!


After

I had a great start back to work (planning meetings are the 29th and 30th – only a couple weeks away!) – it’s great to be “back in the saddle again” even if I was a bit overwhelmed with all I had to do at first.


Ella is busy reconnecting with all her friends, social child that she is. Her and Janet are almost inseparable – when the two of them are together everyone else ceases to exist! It’s fun to see the differences in the neighbor babies since we left. Little Hannah is walking and James schooches along on his stomach.


Playing with Kathryn and James


Jumping with friend Aquila


Relaxing after a swim with friends


It’s great to be back with our dogs again. Kayo was a surprise in that he remembered us and about stayed glued to my leg for the first week. He’s mellowed up since he was small puppy although he is still a bit of an enthusiastic, chewing monster. Not as aggressive as I feared he’d be. He’s got some Lab in him and is the easiest going of all our dogs. The most untrained and obnoxious too! With a bit of training I have no doubt that he’ll be a really great dog like the others. We get a lot of enjoyment and companionship out of our dogs.


Then


Now!!


Our Amazing Threesome


Another huge surprise was Cody coming back only a few days after we did! Sarah had only seen him around once since we were gone. He’s been back ever since and lays around the house sleeping and generally just being a really good little cat. I’m not a cat person but I have a whole new appreciation for this cat. He’d be hard to replace.


We were due to go to Kampala to see Harriet this Saturday but due to the terrible riots in Kampala on Thursday and part of Friday, chose to stay home just to be safe. The reports of these riots is just so sad with the losses of life, property, beatings, looting and fires, not to mention the absolute terror of the innocent people caught in the middle of it. I’m glad that we don’t have a tv!


It is good to be home. I have a whole new appreciation for where I’m from in Montana and for the United States, and a whole new appreciation for Uganda as well. I truly have the best of two worlds, being from one of the greatest places on earth and having the opportunity to live in another! Ella and I can both be truly proud of whence we came : ) And I can’t think of a better cross than a little Ugandan/Montanan :)!

Ella being Ella - that great Ugandan/Montanan mix you know!

No comments: